Wednesday 9 March 2011

Apple Cosy / Cozy - Free Pattern





So, I'd never even heard of one of these apple cosy things until recently!  When I spotted someone with one, I my first thought was 'what a fab idea' and secondly 'I bet I could make one better than that'!!

So off I went trawling the internet for a pattern.  I tried a few (one started with a chain 30 - must have been a footbal sized apple!!), one started off ok, but didn't really work with my yarn (all single crochets so not enough give), so in the end I did what I usually do and made it up as I went along!

I wanted it to have a bit of stretch and give - not all apples are the same size - so went for a half-double (hdc) stitch (it's also one of my favs!).  I've never done a half-double decrease (hdc2tog) before so made it up!!  I've since checked though and it seems I did it right!

Here goes...

stitches are US
hdc2tog - yo, through st, (3 loops on hook), yo, through next st, yo through all 5 loops on hook
start working in rounds until the split, then in rows
I use DK handknit cotton and a size 4.0mm hook with a 3.00mm for the loop and the slip stitch around the top

start with a magic circle
1 6hdc in circle (6)
2 2hdc in each hdc, repeat (12)
3 1hdc in next st, 2hdc in next, repeat (18)
4 1hdc in next 2 st, 2hdc in next, repeat (24)
5 1hdc in next 3 st, 2hdc in next, repeat (30)
6 1hdc in next 4 st, 2hdc in next, repeat (36)
7 1hdc in each st around (36)
8 ch1, turn (working in rows now) 36hdc
9 ch1, turn 36hdc
10 ch1, turn 36hdc
11 ch1, turn 36hdc
12 ch1, turn, *1hdc in next 3 st, hdc2tog*, repeat**
13 ch1, turn, *1hdc in next st, hdc2tog*, repeat**
14 make a chain for the button (I use a 3.0mm hook and about ch16)
l5 make the chain into a loop and slipstitch around the top of the cosy (I carry on with the smaller hook).
FO and add a button to fasten

Add your apple and fasten!
Click here if you'd rather buy than make!

No comments:

Post a Comment